Sports Fanatics United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mr. Offseason

Go down 
+4
demetrius_dew
Stealth Falcon
theglobalcowboy
Mr. Offseason
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 am

My name is Tom Melton, I'm one of the new members on here. I thought I'd try to get the posting started, so I decided to post in here.

I'm 19 years old and I am from Edina, Minnesota. I am a die-hard Falcons fan and I plan on flying down to the Georgia Dome for my first game where I'm not the only Falcons fan in an entire section. I am obsessed with the NFL Draft and my dream is to one day be a NFL Scout. I look forward to having a lot of discussions about the draft on this forum.

I am also a big UNC fan. I have been following their football team much more seriously the last 3 or 4 years and last year was a real treat for me since they were finally starting to play well and win games. I have obviously become more and more interested in college football as I have become more and more infatuated with the NFL Draft.

I am also a big basketball fan and used to play it when I was younger but didn't play past 9th grade competitively. Now I just shoot around for fun in my backyard or with friends (and I have a pretty good jump shot too Wink ) but I follow the Bulls very closely and I am obviously a huge MJ fan (hence the username). I also love college basketball and March Madness obviously, and I follow UNC basketball. Cool

I am also becoming more and more of a baseball fan, and I am a fan of the hometown Minnesota Twins. I am still learning about the game, but the more I learn about it the more I like it. Smile

Those are the 3 sports I am a fanatic about (or developing into a fanatic for), so I thought it made sense to post them considering the forum name.

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to a lot of good discussions on here.

-Mr. Offseason (mjfanatic8403 at site creation)

Last edited by Mr. Offseason on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Name Change)
Back to top Go down
https://sportsfanaticsunited.forumotion.com/forum.htm
theglobalcowboy

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:14 am

I'm just going to jump on this thread for introducing myself.

Rohan Sadagopal. Bloomington, MN. Tom (mjfanatic) is one of my best friends and he introduced me to this site. I'm about as big of a sports nut as you'll find, baseball is my best sport, though I follow Basketball (pro, college too, though I don't watch those games as much), Football (I watch at least 2 games on Sunday, if not 3, and follow college football as well, though I don't normally watch, since I work on Saturdays), Soccer, Hockey, Tennis, and occasionally IRL. I read every article that ever appears on ESPN's frontpage.

Oh, Australian Rules Football seems really cool too. I was sobering up at someones house one time and that was on and it was actually pretty sweet.

In terms of who I root for:

Baseball: Twins fan, as big as they come,. I hate big market teams. Growing up as a kid, I was a Yankees fan because I idolized Derek Jeter. I also was a Redsox fan until they started winning. Now I absolutely hate both those teams (though I still like Jeter - I respect the way he plays the game). I will always root for the small market team over the bigger one.

Hockey: Wild fan. Used to be a Flyers fan before MN got our team back. I always root for the team with the better fan base, as I cannot stand southern teams (probably bitterness over Dallas taking our team). This means in a game between a northern team and a southern team, I'll take the northern team. The exception is that I hate the Redwings. I also really enjoy high school hockey, and attend games with friends every year.

Basketball: Timberwolves fan, though I also root for the Lakers when it doesn't conflict (not a bandwagon fan, I idolized George Mikan when I was younger)

Football: Vikings + whoever's playing the Packers

Soccer: FC Barcelona, Man U. I root for players more than anything though, I just love the game
Back to top Go down
Stealth Falcon

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:33 am

Sup guys, my name is Mihai, yes pronounced "Me High", i love it lol. I was born in Romania and moved to Canada when i was about 5. I'm currently about to turn 17, and life is great.

I am a big soccer fan, obviously I'm European, and of course i cheer for my Romanian teams, and Romanian players, regardless of where they play. My favorite player is Mutu, he is a great striker and i don't care what any haters say.

I'm a huge football fan. Mainly the Falcons, which were the first team I ever watched play and became a fan. I got recruited over here by Tom over from the Falcons boards. I love talking about the draft and discussing draft prospects. That's why i think i'll like this place. The Lions also got a place in my heart, because i guess they are my hometown team, and i hope they can turn it around, and they will this year, i know it.

I don't really watch baseball, i just keep up with highlights from The Score(Canadian) so i kinda know most of the players. I also have a really good fantasy MLB team lmfao. I'm also sick on betting on MLB.

My 2nd favorite team behind the Falcons would definitely have to be the Raptors. I've been a Raptors fan since i first started watching basketball. BC made some great moves this off-season and I'm really looking forward to this season, because the Raps will be contenders in the East.

I also watch hockey, Maples Leaf fan. Nothing hardcore though, but i do keep up with any changes they make.

I watch MAC and Michigan and Michigan St. football too.

Hopefully this forum gets up to speed, cuz it looks good and I'ma enjoy talking to you guys.

Last edited by Stealth Falcon on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 pm

My user name is my real name Tom also recruited me over here to post about sports. I am a huge Football fan College first Professional second in my eyes. I am all over the place with my favorite team because I was a military brat and grew up in Japan.

College Every Sport: Michigan
NFL: Atlanta Falcons
NBA: Chicago Bulls
MLB: Don't really have a favorite team don't watch it much on TV but I do go to quite a few Triple A games (Jacksonville Sun)
Florida Marlins affiliate.
NASCAR: Jaun Pablo Montoya
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for posting Dew. Smile

You are a fellow Bulls fan so I had to get you over here. And I would respect Michigan a lot more if they weren't running the spread my good man. You know how I feel about the spread. Wink
Back to top Go down
Stealth Falcon

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Dew welcome my fellow Michigan fan. I too lost a lot of respect when i heard they were moving to a spread.
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:07 pm

The Spread Offense levels the playing field for many schools that can't get top rated Pro Style Players. Michigan has been spinning there wheels for the last decade with the Pro Style Offense. I am willing to bet money that no Pro Style Team that strictly runs the Pro Style offense will win a National Title for at least the next 5 or 6 year. Hell no true Pro Style team has won a National Title since USC did it in what 02 I believe against Oklahoma. Pro Style Offense in college football will no longer be the in all be all offense in college football.
Back to top Go down
Stealth Falcon

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 am

demetrius_dew wrote:
The Spread Offense levels the playing field for many schools that can't get top rated Pro Style Players. Michigan has been spinning there wheels for the last decade with the Pro Style Offense. I am willing to bet money that no Pro Style Team that strictly runs the Pro Style offense will win a National Title for at least the next 5 or 6 year. Hell no true Pro Style team has won a National Title since USC did it in what 02 I believe against Oklahoma. Pro Style Offense in college football will no longer be the in all be all offense in college football.
It will help them out in college for sure, and I think they will be successful with it this year. I just think the players have a harder transition to the NFL, especially QB's.
Back to top Go down
Raphael De La Ghetto

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:30 am

My name is Eriq and I'm a huge Fresh Prince fan (hence, the SN). I saw Tom post about this forum on the Falcons board. I'm 16 and live in Southern California cheers
For the most part I only follow football but I do stay aware of basketball and baseball. I'm a bit upset there isn't a track forum on this website, as it is a sport. Wink
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 am

Players will have a harder time to transition to the NFL but if you look at majority not all but majority of the kids that are recruited for the Spread Offense they don't have the height or weight to play in the NFL let alone have success at a school that runs the Pro Style Offense. What people don't understand is the Spread offense was built to use small athletic fast players that don't otherwise fit the traditional football player mold.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:20 am

demetrius_dew wrote:

You might be right, but that is because it requires a TON of speed on defense to stop the spread. The spread is a pretty simple concept, but it can be hard to learn the playbook since it can be complicated. However it pretty much asks the offense to spread the defense out, give the WR's favorable matchups and the idea is essentially that with all the favorable matchups on any given play one WR will come open and the QB will throw to him. That makes it way easier for QB's and because of the favorable matchups for the offense, it makes things tough from the defense. Especially if they aren't a fast defense.

But Florida showed how the Spread can be stopped last year in the National Championship game, they really gave Oklahoma problems. But they have an amazing defense and it is very fast as well. That is why they could match up with the spread.

I just hope Pro Style offenses don't go by the way-side in College Football because if they do then there will hardly be a QB ready to contribute in the first year or two of his NFL career, and that is a scary thought.

And you are right Dew, the players recruited for the spread are kind of misfits relative to the guys recruited for a pro-style offense team. But not all guys are like that, Jeremy Maclin wasn't like that, Michael Crabtree wasn't like that, Sam Bradford wasn't like that, Alex Smith wasn't like that... I could go on but there are plenty of guys who operate in spread offenses that could have been playing in a pro-style but chose to play in the spread instead. And at least for QB's, that is a fairly dooming choice considering what they will have to adjust to in the NFL. It is really hard to sell people on a guy that put up tons of numbers in an offense he won't be playing in the NFL, because you don't know what you're going to get. Will he improve his footwork, will be be able to read defenses, will be still make good decisions, will he operate alright from under center...

So many questions arise when a QB transitions from a spread to a pro-style that it is borderline not worth it to draft them depending on what system they ran. That is precisely why Graham Harrell went undrafted and is trying to play in the CFL now.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 am

Raphael De La Ghetto wrote:
My name is Eriq and I'm a huge Fresh Prince fan (hence, the SN). I saw Tom post about this forum on the Falcons board. I'm 16 and live in Southern California cheers
For the most part I only follow football but I do stay aware of basketball and baseball. I'm a bit upset there isn't a track forum on this website, as it is a sport. Wink

Welcome over man, good to see you joined up. Smile And I also love Fresh Prince, it is an amazing show. My roommate and I used to stay up until the middle of the night and watch it until 5 am on Nick @ Nite sometimes. lol. Usually it was a stupid idea but it was still really fun.
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am

Mr. Offseason wrote:
demetrius_dew wrote:

You might be right, but that is because it requires a TON of speed on defense to stop the spread. The spread is a pretty simple concept, but it can be hard to learn the playbook since it can be complicated. However it pretty much asks the offense to spread the defense out, give the WR's favorable matchups and the idea is essentially that with all the favorable matchups on any given play one WR will come open and the QB will throw to him. That makes it way easier for QB's and because of the favorable matchups for the offense, it makes things tough from the defense. Especially if they aren't a fast defense.

But Florida showed how the Spread can be stopped last year in the National Championship game, they really gave Oklahoma problems. But they have an amazing defense and it is very fast as well. That is why they could match up with the spread.

I just hope Pro Style offenses don't go by the way-side in College Football because if they do then there will hardly be a QB ready to contribute in the first year or two of his NFL career, and that is a scary thought.

And you are right Dew, the players recruited for the spread are kind of misfits relative to the guys recruited for a pro-style offense team. But not all guys are like that, Jeremy Maclin wasn't like that, Michael Crabtree wasn't like that, Sam Bradford wasn't like that, Alex Smith wasn't like that... I could go on but there are plenty of guys who operate in spread offenses that could have been playing in a pro-style but chose to play in the spread instead. And at least for QB's, that is a fairly dooming choice considering what they will have to adjust to in the NFL. It is really hard to sell people on a guy that put up tons of numbers in an offense he won't be playing in the NFL, because you don't know what you're going to get. Will he improve his footwork, will be be able to read defenses, will be still make good decisions, will he operate alright from under center...

So many questions arise when a QB transitions from a spread to a pro-style that it is borderline not worth it to draft them depending on what system they ran. That is precisely why Graham Harrell went undrafted and is trying to play in the CFL now.

Jeremy Maclin - Missouri
Micheal Crabtree - Texas Tech
Sam Bradford - Ohklahoma
Alex Smith - Utah

I am sure if you look these guys recruiting information up they were not heralded recruits coming out of high school I know Maclin and Crabtree are a bit short for WR postion but they make that with speed that Spread Offense love.

Of the 120 Division 1-A team I bet in the top 50 schools less than 15 of them run a true ProStyle Offense with no Spread variation added why because of the lack of Pro Style Offense players coming out of High School and the abundance of small athletic players coming out of High School.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Quote :
Jeremy Maclin - Missouri
Micheal Crabtree - Texas Tech
Sam Bradford - Ohklahoma
Alex Smith - Utah

I am sure if you look these guys recruiting information up they were not heralded recruits coming out of high school I know Maclin and Crabtree are a bit short for WR postion but they make that with speed that Spread Offense love.

Of the 120 Division 1-A team I bet in the top 50 schools less than 15 of them run a true ProStyle Offense with no Spread variation added why because of the lack of Pro Style Offense players coming out of High School and the abundance of small athletic players coming out of High School.

I think Maclin is about 6'0, but Crabtree is about 6'3" with 4.5 speed and is more of a possession receiver than a speed guy.

I understand your argument about all of the smaller, athletic players and you are probably right. However there was always enough talent to support teams running the pro style offense before, that didn't just dry up.

The source of the issue in my opinion is so many high school teams using variations of the spread. That means less pro style players are groomed in HS and are ready to go to a pro style team in the NCAA (of which there are fewer and fewer). That means that by the time you get to the draft the talent has been filtered down twice, not just once, and that is the reason that this QB class is going to be absolutely dreadful. There are far too many spread qb's in this class, and a lot of them are going to end up busts.

Jevan Snead will probably get drafted up with Bradford if not ahead of him if he has a good year this year and Joe Cox will move up boards despite this being his first year as a starter. Why? Because Snead and Cox are both operating out of a pro-style, and that sets them apart from all of the other spread guys in this class.
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Nah there both 6'0 with Crabtree being closer to 6'1. But I think High School did it to compete more but I see your argument and I understand. I think it is past time for the NFL to come up with a new offense and that utilizes some of these small athletic kids it will happen it just will take an innovator of a coach like Bill Walsh (RIP) to come along and do it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

You're right about Crabtree, I guess he just seems taller to me. He is between 6'1" and 6'2" I think. Anyways quicker smaller guys are being used a lot more as slot receivers even if they don't have great straight line speed. Guys like Wes Welker and Harry Douglas are the future of slot receivers in my opinion. Good route runners that are more quick than fast with good hands. If you have a good #1 WR like Randy Moss or Roddy White then it takes pressure of guys like Welker and Douglas and makes it easier for them to get open on short out routes or slant routes, the kinds of routes that maximize their quickness.

But I don't ever think a spread offense will work in the NFL consistently just because there is too much speed on defense now. Rarely do players just come wide open in man coverage like they do in college sometimes, and those kinds of mismatches are what the spread thrives on. I just don't think Spread QB's have a place in the NFL until they spend a couple years adjusting to the offense, learning to read defenses and working on their footwork from under center. Bradford will soon test this theory of mine and it will be interesting to see how he does this year (since he will probably declare after this season, at least in my opinion) and then in the next one or two seasons in the NFL. Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 am

Spread can work there are plenty of smaller faster athletic lineman but scouts tell them to bulk up as son as they graduate or declare the NFL likes big beefy lineman. Smaller athletic lineman can counter faster DE off he end and even get to the second level on LB when needed. Scouts on both level look for a specific type of player weight and height which the Pro Style offense thrives off. Many of those slot type WR will come from Spread teams. Maclin and Percey.

For the spread to work you have to have a FO offense from top to bottom on the same page to draft and get the right personal need to make it work but I could work just know one wants to but there job on the line and try. If you got Meyer, Rich Rod and and someone like Les Miles together on a coaching staff they could pull it off.
Back to top Go down
vikefan4eva
Admin

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:08 am

Well since everyone is piggy-backin' off this thread for introductions...I shall follow suit.
Vikefan4eva...Trent Murphy is the real name. I'm the one "doin' the gfx stuff" for the site. I'm 18 and will be attending the University of Iowa in the fall. Plan on double majoring in Art and some form of Engineering.

My favorite teams go as follows...Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota Timberwolves. Minnesota Twins. Iowa Hawkeyes for every sport. Also follow The U very closely in football when I can. I also follow the Tar Heels...I am a fan and call me a band wagon jumper if you must, but I've watched them since I was very young, and am originally from the east coast. I don't really follow baseball closely at all...just root for the twinkies. Haven't followed the T'wolves as much since Garnett left either.

If you wanna know anything else...hit me up.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey vikefan, great job on the banner (I imagine that was you if you are the graphics man). Were you livin' in Minny or are you located in Iowa and going to school there? Just wondering because it would be fun to have another Minny guy on here. Smile

And good for you for following the Heels. Smile I have another Heels fan on here now.

And Dew you are right there are enough athletic lineman, but slowly but surely I think people are realizing that quick, athletic lineman like Gibbs used in the ZBS when he was in Denver, Atlanta and now in Houston are efficient between the 20's but in 3rd and short situations or on the goal line they are simply outmatched. That is why we could gain all kinds of yards on the ground with Dunn, Vick, etc. but could never get it in the end zone. The defense brought in their big, monster DT's that were there to stuff the run and our smallish olineman tried to block them and made no headway, thus we rarely scored on the goal line.

That is what I don't like about the smallish olineman, and that is probably why so few people are still using the ZBS. I'm not sure another ZBS team will win a Superbowl either (I imagine Denver used it when they won it last since Gibbs was probably there), not with all the big, strong defensive lineman in the league.

And I'm sure you could create a spread offense in the NFL, I just don't think it would work on a consistent basis. The ZBS works sometimes, especially when the quick, athletic offensive line matches up with a smaller, more pass rush oriented team or a team that doesn't stop the run well. Those are the teams we used to beat up on. But then you match up against a ferocious, big, strong and fast team like the Eagles and we couldn't move the ball to save our lives. I imagine the spread would have success similar to that. The offense could move the ball against teams without deep secondaries or slow linebacking cores, especially against teams that didn't put pressure on the QB consistently. But against teams like the Giants that put tons of pressure on you or teams with great secondaries (The Packers for instance, at least in my opinion) you would struggle mightily.

So is it really worth all the effort for on and off success like we had in the ZBS? I really don't think so. But who knows, maybe someone will find a way to win with it. I just don't think it projects well with all the speed and intelligence on defense in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 am

Yep you are correct man I forgot about the ZBS, they though the West Coast Offense would not last long either you just have to have patience and the right men on the job.
Back to top Go down
Shaud

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 am

Greetings I am Shaud
Back to top Go down
demetrius_dew

demetrius_dew

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 am

Easy homie don't tell us to much. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 am

Welcome Shaud. Smile

Thanks for comin' aboard. We need to get this place jumpin' again.
Back to top Go down
Shaud

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 12:25 am

demetrius_dew wrote:

Don't hate Dew

Mr. Offseason wrote:
Welcome Shaud. Smile

You're welcome my good man hopefully this place gets more active. Not too much going on in the sports world right now but football season has started Smile
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 am

Shaud wrote:
demetrius_dew wrote:

Don't hate Dew

Mr. Offseason wrote:
Welcome Shaud. Smile

You're welcome my good man hopefully this place gets more active. Not too much going on in the sports world right now but football season has started Smile

Oh football season, how we love you! afro
Back to top Go down
https://sportsfanaticsunited.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Mr. Offseason Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Offseason   Mr. Offseason Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr. Offseason
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Fanatics United :: General Info :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: